Floating Bamboo Installation
Floating Installation Guidelines
* Click here to download Instructions [PDF]
* Click here to download instructions in Spanish [PDF]
Inspect the bamboo product for the correct shipment, grade, and for any visible defects prior to installation. Our Warranty does not cover bamboo products with visible defects that are installed.
Prior to Installation of Bamboo Floor:
It is the responsibility of the owner/installer to ensure that the flooring and the sub floor have been acclimated sufficiently. Moisture content should not vary more than 3% between floor and subfloor at time of installation.
- After receiving your order, Gala Manufacturing recommends storing the Bamboo flooring at installation area, with boxes opened, for a minimum 72 hours before installation to allow flooring to adjust to room temperature and humidity.
- Since bamboo is a natural product visible color variations may occur. We recommend opening all cartons of flooring before beginning installation to check for shade and then mixing cartons to achieve a natural variation throughout the entire floor.
- Since wood expands with any increase in moisture content, we recommend leaving at least 1/2″ expansion space between flooring and all walls and vertical objects (such as pipes and cabinets).
- Moisture difference between the floor and the sub-floor should not be more than 3 %
- Determine the installation method that best suits your application: Gala Manufacturing’s Bamboo floors may be Floated (not secured to the sub floor), Glued, or Nailed.
Floating Installation Method:
The Floating method (not securing to the sub floor) offers a fast, convenient, and cost efficient way to install a Bamboo Floor. The floating method is also known to produce a very stable floor due to the fact that it is not secured to the sub floor. Floating floors are also ideal for those applications that have multiple floor coverings that may be too troublesome to remove.
Floating bamboo floors need proper expansion areas as do other types of bamboo installations. Small layouts or square rooms may only need 3/8″
expansion. If the installation flows into other rooms and runs in excess of 30 feet or thereabouts, a greater expansion area should be allowed. Do not install any floating floors against a fixed object such as fireplace, columns and the like. Failure to follow this advice may result in tenting or buckled floors.
- Premium Tongue & Groove
- Flooring Glue
- Tape measure
- Miter saw (chop-saw)
- Tapping block (trimmed piece of flooring)
- Flat bar or pull bar
- Wood or plastic spacers (1/2″)
- Chalk line
Installing over Concrete Slab:
- It must be flat, clean and dry.
- Moisture test is recommended.
- It is recommended to place a moisture barrier over the concrete, usually 6 mil polyurethane sheeting.
- It is recommended to install the planks parallel to the longest wall.
- Using spacers to maintain the expansion space, begin by laying the first plank in a corner with the long grooved side toward the long wall.
- Apply a small continuous consistent bead of a Premium T&G flooring glue along the bottom side of the groove.
- Connect the short side of the second plank together with the mating side of the first plank.
- Cut the last plank and complete the row. Use the remaining plank to start the second row.
- Be sure to offset the end joins of consecutive rows by a minimum of six inches for best appearance.
- Continue the second row by connecting the short edges of the planks first with the long edges.
- The last row may require rip cutting the planks to size.
- Cut enough to create the expansion space.
- As with the other rows, connect the short edges first and use a pull bar to tap the long edges together.
Radiant Heat Systems:
Gala Manufacturing’s Bamboo flooring is recommended for use over radiant heat systems only if flooring surface temperature does not exceed 85 degrees Fahrenheit. If possible, check with the heating manufacture to successfully limit the max temperatures in order not to exceed recommended surface temp. Relative Humidity must be maintained between 40-60%. Sub floor moisture should never vary greater or less than 3% than that of the flooring moisture content. 5/8″ Plywood or ¾” oriented strand (OSB) boards are recommended for sub floor materials in radiant installations. The floating installation method is the most suitable for use with radiant heat systems. It is the responsibility of the Installer and or Owner to ensure that the recommended environmental conditions are met and are suitable for installation of Gala Manufacturing’s Bamboo flooring products.
Radiant heat system must be turned on and in operation for at least 7 days before installation. The system must be turned off for several hours just prior to installation. Once the installation is complete the system must be turned back on and brought back up to normal operating temperature slowly (over a period 4-5 days).
Gala Manufacturing recommends to Vacuum or sweep the floor on a regular basis or as needed to remove dirt, sand or grit. Soak up spills immediately using a dry towel or dry mop. Never wet-mop a hardwood floor. Protect floor from moving furniture by using “feet” or protective caps. Pick up heavy objects; do not slide furniture or appliances across the floor. Keep pets nails trimmed to avoid excess scratching. Avoid rubber backing, vinyl or non-ventilated rugs. Limit direct sunlight on floor by using curtains and blinds in areas that are exposed to high UV rays. Maintain humidity between 40% -60%. To remove hard-to-clean substances such as chewing gum, use Goof-Off or Goo-Gone. Floor wax and oil should not be used.